Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Update

To continue where I left off last night, Dean went in just once and she was quiet/asleep in six minutes. At that point, it was about 10:50 p.m. She slept until about 1:40 a.m. which is a typical wake-up time for her. Weird. She stirred and whimpered on and off for over an hour but never got upset and was able to fall asleep without us having to go in to comfort her. She slept until a little after 7:00 a.m. Not bad at all for our first night. We were expecting much worse. I just had to keep reminding myself that she's going to be okay and that this is going to be good for all of us. It mirrors the week when we were weaning her off of her pacifier when she was six months old. That was hard. But this is much harder. Now, she not only cries, but she calls for us. I felt like my heart was being stomped on as she cried and said, "Dada" and "Mama" over and over again. She seemed so confused at first. :( We also have to get used to the fact that she probably will throw up several more times before we conquer this issue and that she WILL be fine. As for me, I need to learn how to sleep when she's sleeping. Last night, when she started to stir, I just laid there and waited to make sure she was going to fall asleep again. I get way too paranoid about it and just need to relax. I don't know if it's because I feel like I won't hear her if she cries or if I just don't want to completely fall asleep until I know she is or what. Either way, I need to not do that because I, unnecessarily, missed out on a couple hours of sleep last night.

Night number two tonight has us extending the amount of time we are supposed to wait until we go in to comfort her. Wish us luck. Hopefully in a couple of weeks, we look back and are thankful we did this.

I know this isn't the most exciting thing to read, but it's currently the front page news in the Peterson household...and will be until we feel like we're successful. :)

1 comment:

Erika said...

I thought maybe I was confused and reading my own blog:) It will get better, you know I about lost it that entire month we switched the girls beds...but it slowly got better, and they learn that you mean business! I do the SAME thing about waiting for them to cry. Silly. We'll hear them. Try to sleep!:) I'm really stupid and watch the monitor, but I can't see so I lay and squint and conjure up fake noises, images on the monitor. Wow! Yes, Brian thinks I'm nuts. I think all moms are a bit nuts, that's how we cope, right??:) Hang in there, and I'm not bored...this is the real stuff!
PS I love the recent pics. Ayla is a little doll.