Thursday, March 4, 2010

She's on to us...

As the evening drew to a close, I became more and more anxious about putting Ayla to bed. Dean had already left for his hunting trip and I was left trying to keep my mind off of it all. I kept telling Ayla not to cry and that it was going to be okay...maybe that was advice for myself as well.

Once her jammies were on and it was nearing bedtime, she kept saying "nooo" and did everything she could to stall--she grabbed a couple of different books and then her MagnaDoodle so I could draw an Elmo for her one more time. She even said no when I asked if she wanted some milk. After just three nights, she already knew what was in store.

We went into her room when I could tell she was pretty tired and definitely ready for bed. She drank her milk with very heavy eyelids. When she was done, I covered her with kisses and "I love you's". She started to stiffen up when she could sense that I was about to put her down. She was NOT happy when it happened. I told her good night, took a deep breath, and left the room.

Same thing as last night...she started crying as I was walking out, but by the time I got to the living room, she was just calling out for me.

She was quiet in ONE MINUTE.

I really cannot believe how quickly she adapted to this. I realize we probably still have some difficult nights ahead of us, but I am more than thrilled at the progress we have made in just four nights. She has slept so well the past two nights...it shows during the day. Even my parents have noticed it. She is a much happier little girl and fussy moments haven't occurred nearly as often.

This Richard Ferber guy really knows what he's talking about. This book is something I know I will continue to refer to as Ayla gets older and new "problems" arise.

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself by speaking so positively and wind up having a long night after all.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Glad to hear about the positive progress!!! ;) YAY! Crossing my fingers that it continues!