Sunday, July 26, 2009

Another busy weekend...

Ayla continues to crawl all over the place to check out every little corner, door, and window...we really need to do some baby-proofing. She gets into things that I didn't even think would be an issue. On Thursday night, our friends, Jamie and Dustin, their son Jayce, and nephew Jaxson drove in from Des Moines. We haven't seen them for a few months so we were looking forward to them coming! :)

On Friday morning, we went to the zoo...it happened to be the first over-90 degree day in a long time (it's been a strange summer). For those of you who know me well, you know I don't do well in the heat. I'm reduced to a sweaty, whiny, you-know-what. It was pretty hot and sticky and unfortunately, Ayla wasn't interested in being in her stroller for more than ten minutes at a time so I had my own personal space heater attached to my hip for most of the three hours that we were there. Awesome. Our friend, Lou, met us there and he ended up pushing Ayla's stroller the whole time. He also took all of these pictures (Thanks, Lou! Sorry we didn't get you in any of them!) Ayla wasn't too interested in anything besides the aquarium; she was craning her neck to see things and was pointing at everything. Usually she'll fall asleep in her stroller, but she hung on and skipped her first nap altogether. I decided it was time for the two of us to leave while Jamie, Dustin, Jayce, and Jaxson powered on through and stayed for a few more hours. I can't believe they didn't melt. Ayla passed out in the car almost instantly which was exactly what I was hoping. We headed to my brother's house to take a dip in the pool...it only took us 20 minutes to get there so that's all that she slept. She woke up as soon as I stopped the car and amazingly enough, she was good to go. Crazy baby.

She LOVED the pool! She was kicking and splashing and just having a great 'ol time. And my gosh, the water felt so awesome after being in the heat.I got a kick out of watching my niece, Haylee...she has no fear. She was jumping into the pool, swimming underwater, and was just all over the place.Mr.Bennett, however, was perfectly content with sitting in his little floatie and not touching the water at all. It's funny how different their personalities can be.
Ayla swam with Yeh-Yeh most of the time...he's more fun than Mommy. :) I just like to sit back and soak.She got through the day with two 20-minute naps. That's it. I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that she can go off of such little sleep!

On Saturday afternoon, Meghan, Chris, and Heidi came over to hang out and grill and also so Aunt Jamie could see the girls in the froggy swimming pool that she gave to Ayla. We only had one taker...Heidi was happy enough just checking out the water from the outside of the pool. Smart girl...the water wasn't the warmest. After we ate and both the babies were asleep, the six of us played games, stayed up too late, and the guys all had a few too many drinks. Whoops. It was a really fun evening though...it's been a while since all of us have been together. It was a great weekend and I'm bummed that it's over but I. Am. Pooped. I cannot wait to climb into bed. It's going to be a short week with lots of things to get done before we leave on Thursday evening for our cabin in Wisconsin...we'll be there for ten days! V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!

2 comments:

RAW said...

Sounds like a busy weekend. Robert and I went to the zoo while we were in Omaha. I can officially say I'm not due for another zoo visit for eight years or better. It's too hot and smells like animal poo :)

That pool looks awfully inviting...

Kara said...

I can't wait until it gets back down to the 90's. It has been hovering around 105-107 since Monday and we were dying until our friend loaned us an air conditioner last night. Seriously...105 is ridiculous!!!