Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chinese New Year

I have a confession. I'm a sucky Chinese person. I didn't even know Chinese New Year was today. I usually always know when it is, but somehow I spaced it this year. Baby brain? Perhaps. When I got to my parents' house yesterday, my mom had plates of fruit out and incense burning. I asked, "Oh, what's with all the stuff? What holiday is it?" She stopped in her tracks and I got one of those raised-eyebrow-are-you-an-idiot looks. "New Year's." Right. Sorry. "Happy New Year, Mom!" I didn't dare ask if it was New Year's Eve or Day. I let good 'ol Google answer that when I got home. Turns out, it was Eve, so I still had today to redeem myself. I dug out one of the several traditional Chinese outfits that my parents brought back from Taiwan for Ayla. It fit her perfectly and she was digging it.

This evening, Ayla talked to Yeh-Yeh on Skype. (He's in Taiwan) He watched her "cook" flour, water, and raw noodles. :) He kept getting grossed out that I was letting her play with it, but if it keeps her happy and busy long enough for me to make dinner and not have her clinging to my leg whining her little heart out, I'm good with it. She's a very neat child which makes it even better. You'd think it'd be all over the kitchen, but there were just a few drips on her little table.

1 comment:

Leah said...

hilarious! Happy New Year, Anne (and to your mom and fam!)
Ayla looks adorable in her outfit! :)