Monday, February 1, 2010

Cancun

We were supposed to land in Omaha at 8pm Saturday night, but after sitting on our plane for two hours in Cancun before taking off due to a mechanical problem, we missed our connecting flight in Houston. Bah. They shipped us off to a Sheraton for the night and after yet another delayed flight, we finally landed in Omaha around 1pm Sunday. Sigh. I was so ready to see my baby. A bonus to sitting on that plane for two hours though? We somehow lucked into first class. When we stepped on the plane, we veered to the right just like every other time we've been on a plane but when we looked up at the row number, it said Row 8. We glanced down at our tickets and they said Row 3. Our eyes got wide and Dean said, "No way." Yep. First class. Probably the first and last time we'll ever get to sit up there. It was definitely the best case scenario for being stuck for that long. We had free drinks, real food, and roomy leather seats. It was greaaaat. I think it was the only thing that kept me sane...I surely would have gone crazy had we been sitting in regular seats. Totally spoiled.

Despite not having a single flight on time on the way home, we had a beautiful few days in Cancun. We only had one day of bad weather which we made the best of by doing some shopping. Can't beat that. I found a ring that I LOVE and a few little things for Ayla. Our days consisted of ordering room service for breakfast and listening to the waves in the background and then heading down to the pool and beach for the day and going out for amazing dinners in the evening. Endless amounts of food and drinks and SUN. It was perfect.
Welcome banquet on the first night
One of our excursions this year was horseback and ATV riding. I was soo excited about the horseback riding but as the guide was informing us of all the do's and don't's, I found myself becoming increasingly nervous. My feelings did not change as I heaved myself onto my horse whose name was Jose Cuervo...I think Jose had a little too much Cuervo. As soon as I got on, he decided not to listen to me and would do whatever he wanted. I. Was. Terrified. For the next hour, I was white-knuckled and completely freaked out. I basically prepared myself for the fact that I was going to get thrown off and left to get trampled on at some point. Good thing is, that didn't happen. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when we made it back. I had lost my new sunglasses somewhere along the way, but I was alive so all was well. Although, I still have a sore bum five days later. I need some more padding down there.After the horses, we hopped on the ATVs...I was able to ride with Dean, thank goodness. It was surprisingly fun. Nothing like going 35mph through dirt and jumps with a helmet that didn't really fit. Gotta love the lax safety regulations. For my other "excursion" I got an hour-long massage that was heavenly and Dean went golfing with the boys.
Crocodiles on the golf course...crazy.

It was a really great week...Dean's company really takes care of us (all 800 of us). It was an all-expense paid trip...not a single dime out of our pockets except for the shopping we did on our own. They truly spoiled us. I ate WAY too much while we were there...I need to detox my body. Fruits and veggies only for this week.
The Omaha crew
Dean with our towel swans :)

While we were there, we called home every day to check on Ayla. My second call to my mom broke my heart into a gazillion pieces. She said Ayla kept saying, "Mama?" and was looking for me. She's used to watching out the front window for me to drive up after work, so every car that drove by, she said, "Mama?" Then she went to the front door and wanted my mom to open it. Once it was open, she looked out there for me again. AND to top it all off, at bedtime, she would ask for me with tears swirling in her eyes. Oh my. I was a mess as I hung up the phone. Apparently, she would point at the phone and say, "Mama?" but when I called, she wouldn't talk to me. :( I finally got a few hi's and bye's on the last couple of days while she was at Grandma and Grandpa's.
When we went to go pick her up yesterday, she looked at me like she didn't know what in the heck was going on but she was thrilled to see Dean. I thought, "oh great...she's mad at me!" But it ended up only taking a few minutes for everything to be okay. I think she was really happy to have us back. :)

Great trip, great fun...but great to be home with our baby. Thank you so much to our parents for taking care of her all week!

2 comments:

Surina said...

Anne, we have to be careful about what we wear out when we go together....we have ALOT of the same dresses!! How retarded would that look hahaha Looks like you guys had alot of fun....cant wait to hear more about it in person :)

RAW said...

Looks like you had a great trip. I'm jealous of that hotel/your location on the beach. The water looks so inviting. I'd love to be somewhere warm right now!

Hope things warm up in Omaha soon :)