Friday, March 7, 2014

Spring is coming?

I've always talked about how different Ayla and Aubree are in just about every single way possible.  It's so interesting how they are raised the same way by the same parents yet their personalities are wildly opposite.

Earlier this week, I was in the laundry room when I heard Ayla screaming for me to "COME HERE MOMMY!!!!!"  I ran as fast as my I-don't-exercise-legs could carry me.  By the way she was screaming, I couldn't tell if someone's arm had fallen off or if she was just super excited about something random. (This happens often.  Apparently, a bouncy ball found inside a shoe is really cool.)  I found her halfway up the stairs, looking out the window.  She said, "Look!! A super cool bird!!  It means SPRING is coming!!!"  I immediately pictured a robin.  Robins=spring, right?  Or am I making that up?

Anyway.

I looked out the window.  To my surprise, it was not a robin.  It was a huge black crow straight out of a Stephen King novel pecking away at some unfortunate animal in the street that had been run over.  I'm not sure how she decided that THIS signified spring, but I just went with it.  I said, "Oh yeah...okay. Huh."  I didn't want to point out the roadkill but then she said, "Yeah, I think it's eating something!!!" Throughout this whole exchange, she remained super excited.

Enter Aubree.

She wanted to see, too, so I picked her up and let her take a look.  Without missing a single beat, she very matter-of-factly said, "Oh. That's a dead bunny."

Um.  Thanks Aubree.

I quickly glanced at Ayla to see her reaction, but she was already skipping away with sparkles and butterflies coming out of her ears while giggling and singing about the coming of spring.

Again, so different.  Aubree is very much a realist, in her ripe old age of almost three.  She doesn't seem to buy in to things like Ayla does.  She's very inquisitive.  She wants to know exactly how things work and why they are the way they are.  She needs concrete answers.  Ayla is our little dreamer.  She has an incredible imagination and loves all things "magical."  It's so fun to see how each of them absorbs the same experiences. I think they do a great job of balancing each other out. :)

No comments: