Monday, March 10, 2014

No more crib for Aubree!

She is nearly three years old so we figured it was time. :)  Honestly, we were going to leave her in her crib for as long as possible but since she is fully potty trained and even staying dry all night lately, we had to rethink it.  Yesterday morning, I heard her stirring and all of a sudden, she screamed out, "I HAVE TO GO PEE PEE!!!!!!!"  It's been a while since I've gotten out of bed that quickly.  Since she understands that she shouldn't be going in her Pull-Up overnight, it's not fair for her to be stuck in her crib. Soo, we made a last minute decision to take the front of her crib off last night. We have a twin bed for her but figured we'd take baby steps and try this first.

We didn't tell her what was going on.  After I got them out of the bath, they both sat down to watch Dean. He got it all unscrewed and as he pulled the front away, Aubree started to say, "Hey, Daddy! How--" and that's when she was all of a sudden rendered speechless and her eyes got big and she suddenly realized what this meant.  She gasped and said, "Now I have a BIG girl bed!!"  She was so so so excited.  It was adorable. :)

We put her little potty in the room...I'm not quite ready for her to be able to leave her room just yet. :)  We told her she could get out of bed to go potty and that's it.  Not going to lie, I've been fearing this transition.  I envisioned her roaming the house at 3 a.m. and rummaging in the pantry.

She was thrilled to be able to read books in bed instead of on the rocking chair.  She wanted Ayla to be there too. So cute. :)  After books, I tucked her in and explained for the 20th time that she could get out to pee but that was it, said good night, shut the door, and hoped for the best.

I basically tossed Ayla in bed (sorry, Ayla!) and sprinted downstairs to turn on the video monitor to watch Aubree.  Within a minute, she got out to grab her sippy cup of water.  Then a minute later, she got out to go potty.  It was quite the production.  I put a little pack of tissues by the potty so she could wipe but it took her a while to grab just the right amount.  She got it all done, pants back up, and crawled back into bed.  She tossed and turned for a while (darn Daylight Savings) and finally fell asleep with one little arm hanging off the edge of the bed.  Because she could. :)  She stayed in bed all night--every time I woke up during the night, I clicked on the monitor to check on her.  Unfortunately, because of the time change, I had to go wake her up this morning so we could get Ayla to school on time.  I was interested in seeing what she would do on her own if I hadn't woken her up.  I wonder if she would've still called for me to go in and get her.  We'll find out tomorrow!

I'm so happy that she did so well the first night...hopefully it continues this way!  Can't believe my baby is getting so big!
















No comments: