Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tummy snoozin'


We just went in to check on Ayla and for the third night in a row, she is snoring away on her tummy. We put her down on her back and it seems that while she's soothing herself to sleep, she flips over. The first night she did this, she woke up upset so we flipped her onto her back only to find her on her belly again not too long after...this continued for most of the night. Last night, she slept really well and as far as I know, she stayed on her tummy the entire time...we'll see how tonight goes. It's just weird because during the day, if she's on her belly playing for longer than ten minutes, she starts to get fussy, so how in the world is she okay with sleeping for ten hours that way? Silly baby. I hope this is okay since putting babies on their backs to sleep is pounded into our brains by every doctor, nurse, expert, parent, etc. from the moment they're born...but I think that's when they're really young, right? It'll be interesting to see if this is just a phase or if she'll continue to prefer sleeping this way.

She keeps us on our toes! There's always something new going on and no matter how insignificant it may seem, it's always fun and exciting to us. :)

4 comments:

Iluska Ikeda said...

Hmmm, my niece is a tummy sleeper too. My sister worried about it at first but said that she couldn't stay up all night to move her back if she rolled on her tummy, so she let it go. If the mattress is firm and she's good at rolling over, she could always roll over on her back.

Meghan Gonzales said...

Heidi sleeps on her knees with her face down and turned to the side - its the only way she'll sleep... I think its fine. :) She has done that from like 6 months...

Unknown said...

Lily has done the same thing...started when she was around 6 months. She sleeps with her knees under her and her little butt in the air with her face to the side. I used to constantly go in and check on her and flip her to her back, but she would go back to her tummy right away. I figure she can roll her self over now so I try not to worry as much.

Anne said...

Thanks girls! I'm working on fighting the urge to check on her all the time! Sometimes I feel like her face isn't turned to the side enough and it's in the mattress...but I'm sure she's fine and can move if she needs to. :)