Tuesday, April 7, 2009

6-Month Appointment

We went in for Ayla's 6-month well-baby check-up this afternoon. For her previous two appointments, Dean was with us, but today he wasn't able to make it. I was fine with it, but as the appointment drew nearer, I felt myself getting more and more nervous about her shots. :( We always hold her hands during them, but I felt like I needed someone to hold my hands.

When we got there, she was super happy and talkative...she couldn't get enough of all the action in the waiting room. She was flirting with everyone in the room...it was so funny!

She weighed in at 16 lbs. 9 oz (59th percentile) and she is 27 inches long (86th percentile). And are you ready for this? Her head...92nd percentile. No wonder she tips over when she tries to sit up! :) At her 9-month appointment in July, she'll be off the charts! Hehe...

She cried...no, screamed while Dr.Davey was examining her. She usually likes him, but today she just wasn't having it. I couldn't hear a thing he was telling me! After he was done and I was able to pick her up, she kept sneaking glances at him and would stick out her lip and let out a tiny whimper. :)

He said she looks great from head-to-toe...as always, I love to hear that. He also explained how her diet will become more diverse in the next few months...biscuits, crackers, Cheerios, puffs, yogurt, pudding, bread, and eventually small bits of food that we eat. It'll be fun to see her try everything! He said not to worry too much about her not liking the pureed dinners with meat in them...we can even skip them if we want to because she gets enough protein from her formula and pretty soon we can give her real meat. He also gave us props for not using her pacifier anymore...I'll take every bit of encouragement I can because we still have some tough moments here and there where I know that darn binky would temporarily solve everything. If her doctor says it's a good thing, it must be, right? :)

She actually did okay with her shots...she cried less than she did with Dr.Davey! Her little face still turned bright red, but she didn't get as upset as I expected her to. Good for her...and good for me. :) By the time we got home, she had forgotten all about it because she was all smiles. She's now taking a much-needed nap before we head to the airport to pick up my parents...finally!

4 comments:

Erika said...

Anne I've been meaning to write but can't log in at work--that's when I catch up on my blogging! ha. Anyway happy anniversary to you and Dean and happy 6 months to Ayla! She is absolutely adorable, I LOVE the pictures of her in her tutu. Priceless. She looks SO much like you:) I'm sure you hear that all the time. When she's a bit bigger we should get all the girls together...wouldn't they have fun!?

Iluska Ikeda said...

Naomi has her 6 month appointment tomorrow and I'll be going without my husband too. I'm dreading it! I hope she takes the shots as well as your Ayla seems to have.

Your little girl looks so adorable by the way.

(ps.: I found your blog through BC; hope you don't mind)

Anne said...

Iluska...hi! Of course I don't mind that you found us through BabyCenter! I'll have to check out your blog! :)

Audreee said...

Both of my babies have big heads too. It means they are super smart!