Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Big Girl!

I just packed up Ayla's swing...what a lifesaver it was for the first few months! Not only was it a source of entertainment when I needed to put her down so I could get things done, it was her "bed" for a while in the beginning. And most recently, I put her in it to feed her. I'm a little bit bummed to pack it away, but she's getting too big for it and honestly, it's nice to have it out of the living room.

As a trade-off, I got her high-chair out of the storage room and fed her lunch in it for the first time. It worked out just great! What a big girl! :) I strapped her in, put a toy on the tray, and she kept herself busy long enough for me to feed her a whole bowl of food. After feeding her both fruits and veggies for the past couple of weeks, it seems like she actually likes vegetables more than fruits. A little surprising! I think, maybe, she doesn't care for the tartness of fruit...every now and then, she makes that sour face where one eye shuts and she sticks her tongue out. Today, she happily gobbled up her peas but was pbbft-ing her fruit before the bowl was finished.
I said I wasn't going to do it, but I bought her some jars of dinner with meat in them. It just seemed so gross, but I decided to go with the ones that had fruits or vegetables mixed with meat and various flavors instead of just a jar of straight up pureed turkey...which, by the way, looks like a jar of skin. So nasty. We're going to try Chicken Noodle tonight and see how she likes it. :) Speaking of baby food, have you been down that aisle lately?! There are soooo many choices! The level 1's are basic...just one veggie or fruit in each container. The level 2's, however, blend different flavors together and there's even dessert! I get a little overwhelmed trying to decide what to get so I end up just walking away without anything. We'll try the dinners first and then move onto level 2 fruit & veggie blends...

Last night, Ayla woke up fussing and when we went in to check on her, we found that she had rolled over while swaddled and couldn't roll back since her arms were in the swaddle. It was scary because her face was just flat on the mattress. Because of that we are, once again, going to try keeping her arms out of the swaddle so she has the ability to move if she needs to. Last time, as you all know, it didn't go so well...so wish us luck!

And just a side-note...most of you have heard that my parents are in Taiwan right now and that my dad has to have surgery at the end of the week because of a clogged coronary artery. We are hoping that one of the two minimally invasive procedures will be enough to fix it...if not, he will have to have a bypass. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. We can't wait to have him home and healthy.

2 comments:

The Splonskowski's said...

Wow, she IS getting big...how much does she weigh now?

I talked to Ping yesterday and he filled me in on your dad's health concerns. I hope his surgery went well, he's in our prayers.

Anne said...

She's around 17 pounds, I think! Her 6-month appointment is on April 7th...it'll be interesting to find out what her stats are. :)

And thanks so much for thinking about my dad...we appreciate it.