Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Help me out here...

This is a totally random post, but I need some help figuring something out...

SO, last Saturday, Dean, Ayla, and I were invited to Bill and Taylor's house for dinner (parents of adorable twins, Paige and Paxton) and I was planning on bringing a salad and a dessert. The salad was a no-brainer, of course. Chop up a bunch of stuff. Throw it into a bowl. Toss it. Done. For dessert, I decided to make an angel food cake and top it with CoolWhip and some strawberries and blueberries...easy enough, right? I thought so.
With my brand new angel food cake pan and some cake mix from good 'ol HyVee, I ventured home and started mixing it all up. I poured the batter into the two-piece pan and let it sit on the counter while I waited for the oven to heat up. I picked up the pan to put it into the oven and discovered that the batter was leaking all over the counter. ERG.

This is where all of you come in...WHAT did I do wrong?! Is there some magical way to get the two pieces of the pan to stick together so it doesn't leak? Is the answer blatantly obvious and I'm just a huge dumbass? It's driving me nuts! I'm not going to be able to return the stupid thing because I took the label off and I have no idea where the receipt is...probably forever-lost in the black hole I call a purse. So if I am forced to keep it, I need to figure out how to use it correctly. (Otherwise I'm going to have to go "Office Space" on the sucker.)
Here it is with the pieces put together...looks like a normal angel food pan:
(I paid Ayla big bucks to be my product model)

And here it is as two separate pieces:

HOW does it work?

And just in case you're wondering, I went back to HyVee and BOUGHT a cake. Had I thought about this much simpler option in the first place, I would have chosen it and not had sticky cake batter oozing all over my kitchen counter.

On a completely different subject, our trip to Cancun is less than a week away...I might have to put Ayla in my carry-on. Everytime I think about leaving her, I get a lump in my throat and tears start to sting my eyes. I KNOW she's going to be in the best of hands...THAT'S definitely not the issue. I'm just really going to miss her. :( Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this trip...really, I am. Basking in the sun on a beautiful beach with a cold beer in my hand and Dean next to me. What could be better? (Well, if Ayla was on the other side of me...) It's just going to be hard to be away from her for that long. Is she going to forget who we are? [Sigh]

5 comments:

The Splonskowski's said...

No advice on the cake pan, I've only ever bought an angel food cake. :)

As far as leaving Ayla, we've done it a few times. The first was by far the hardest. I got teary having to actually walk away from her. Once I was on the plane I was okay, a little sad but okay. I was gone for 5 days the first time. I had a good time and was able to relax, I missed her too though. The hardest day for me was coming home. Since I knew I was going to see her so soon, I was soo excited. I felt like the plane ride took FOREVER. As soon as I saw her, she gave me that gigantic toothless grin, they remember! Good luck, it'll be a little hard but much needed too.

The Wannabe Redhead said...

I'll check mine out tonight and get back to you. I made ONE--yep one--angel food cake and it turned out okay...no leaks, thank goodness.

by the way, LOVE the "office space" reference. As a homeowner, I have MANY of those moments. Hell, as a HUMAN BEING with a temper, I have many of those moments! I got a kick out of it!

Leah said...

Hi Anne!!
I'm not sure on the angel food cake pan... I can barely get a single cake pan to work properly ;)
But your product model is sure adorable!! ;)

Have fun on your trip!! I know you will miss Ayla dearly. Its okay to cry.... remember me in OH when you guys left! That's Leah for ya...

Miss you!
Leah

Meghan Gonzales said...

Being that Angel Food cake is my favorite - I always thought you put the middle section in the round section and creates a seal... hmmm - I will check mine out and get back to you...

RAW said...

Anne, Ayla is seriously one of the cutest babies I've seen. That last picture kills me :)

Have fun on your vacation!