Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Potty advice

It's been about two and a half weeks since we officially started potty training Ayla...it feels like a lot longer. She's actually been doing pretty well. There have been a few days here and there where she had accidents all day long and I questioned whether or not she was ready but the last couple of days, she has been doing great. Yesterday, we were out running around for over three hours and she stayed dry. Problem is, she has developed a fear of going on a "big potty." For a little while, she thought it was cool but now she's completely freaked out by it. She'll tell me she has to go so I sprint to the restroom wherever we are and as soon as we get in there, she screams and changes her mind. It was great that she stayed dry yesterday, but there's bound to be a time when we're out longer and she really needs to go. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Erika said...

I wish I had some magic advice for you. Honestly the thing that ended up working the best for us was ignoring most of the resistance and focusing on positive praise for ANY progress. Good luck, sounds like she is on the right track!:)

Erika said...

Oh and they sell fold up potty seat things you can set on public toilets...I bet they'd fit in one of your new fancy Coach purses. hee hee;)

Anne said...

Thanks Erika!! Good call on the fold up potty seat! It's definitely worth a shot...although I may have to find some sort of separate bag for it...don't need public restroom nastiness all over my purse! :)

Jessica Schroeder Mashhoun said...

What about this song I hear, "Do the...potty dance." It seems to work for the kids on tv...haha

Mommy of Twins said...

I have a fold up potty seat that I have never used...unlike Miss Ayla the twins would rather go on the big potty. kids are silly! So, if you want you can have the fold up potty I have.