Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hospital tour and Comments

We went on the tour of Methodist Hospital on Monday night for our class...first, we met in a conference room and learned some info on c-sections...I know there's always a possibility that I may have to have one (1 in 3 deliveries is a c-section...how's THAT for learning something?) but the thought of having one really freaks me out...more so than a regular delivery. Bleh. Of course I'll do whatever it takes to get PIP here safely, so bring it on...I'll be fine.

Sidenote--the conference room was set up with a bunch of long tables forming a U-shape with one table in the center. On that table in the center (where we couldn't get to it since we were on the outside of the U) was a platter of an assortment of cookies. WHY would someone want to tease and torture a bunch of pregnant women like that? I couldn't keep my eyes off of them! I pictured myself hurdling the table to get to them...

Ok, moving on...the tour was actually very interesting and helpful. We had the opportunity to see a labor and delivery room, which was surprisingly homey. We also saw a post-partum room where we'll stay til we get to go home. Unfortunately, Dean is going to have to sleep on a chair. I think he should bring a sleeping bag and stretch out on the ground. Either way, it's not going to be too comfy for him...but it's also pretty likely that we won't be getting much sleep anyways those couple of days! We were shown where everything we might need is located...cafeteria, bathrooms, nursery, etc. It made us feel a little more prepared to kind of know what to expect once we arrive.

And now to a completely different subject...I've gotten some pretty strange comments from people (mainly at work) pertaining to my pregnancy. I know most of the time people mean well, but when a simple "congratulations" or "when are you due?" would suffice, they instead, decide to take it five steps further and make an ass out of themselves (entirely MY opinion...they probably don't see anything wrong with what spilled out of their mouths). SO, for your entertainment, here are a few of my favorites:

"I remember when you were skinny!"

"When did THIS happen?" (Umm...hold on, let me grab my calendar...)

"Looks like you got into some trouble!"

"So, you're married, right?"

"Wow, the last time I saw you, you were thin! Er, uhh, I mean, you're still thin...umm..."

"What happened to YOU?"

"When are you due? Oh hmm...well, you don't look big enough to be THAT far along." (this is said in an accusatory tone...like they've decided that I'm starving myself and the baby for shits and giggles and that's why I'm not meeting their expectations of hugeness.)

Nice, huh? I still have a couple months...I'm sure I'll have more to add to the list. And I realize I look young for my age, which will be great as I continue to get older, but seriously, some people make poor assumptions and jump to conclusions when they know absolutely nothing about me. I've gotten looks of pity and disparagement...I hear whispers as I walk by...annoying! BOO on them! I feel like I should wear a sandwich board that says "28, married, bachelor's degree, household income of..." so people will leave me alone! It REALLY bothered me at first, but honestly, I've learned to ignore it...I have better things to worry about!

No comments: