Monday, July 30, 2012

Princess Dance Camp

Last week, Ayla went to Princess Dance Camp.  It was a four-day deal...two hours a day.  Everything revolved around the Disney princesses--arts, crafts, and of course, dancing.  We felt like it was the perfect time to do it...by next summer, she may be over this princess phase. :)

The first day I dropped her off, she didn't want me to go.  I was really surprised because she did so well with Vacation Bible School.  It took a little coaxing from both her teacher and me.  Something about stickers and sparkles and she was off. :)  She ended up loving it and looked forward to it for the rest of the week...especially when she got to wear her "ballerina dresses."  A dream come true, really.

On the last day, we were able to see the dance they learned during the week.  It was to the song "Kiss the Girl" from the Little Mermaid.  So cute.  However, she. Did. Not. Dance. At. All.  She ran and sat in her spot to get ready for it but once the music started, her little finger went up to her mouth and she froze.  Didn't want to have anything to do with it. :(  I felt so bad for her because I caught a glimpse of myself as a little girl and was that exact same way.   Afterwards, her teacher said she did the whole dance when they practiced it before all the moms came in.  I didn't doubt for a second that she knew the whole thing, she just didn't want to do it in front of me and everyone else.  I didn't make a big deal out of it because I didn't want to make her feel bad, so we just talked about the other activities she did that day.  Later that day, I YouTubed "Kiss the Girl" and let it play without saying anything.  Her eyes lit up when she realized what it was and I was treated to a mini-version of her dance.  I knew she could do it. :)  It's just all stored away in that pretty little head of hers for future use. :)

She has since been talking about "dance class" quite a bit.  Timid or not, she really did enjoy it.  I'm trying to decide whether or not we put her in an actual class in the fall or if we should wait another year.
On our way on the first day and sooo excited.

Aubree was not impressed.

After she was comfortable with me leaving, I stuck around to peek in at her for a few minutes.


Love this one.  She looks like such a big girl!

Showing off her crown!

Sitting in her spot, waiting for the performance to begin. :)




This was her during most of the dance. :)

Showing off her dance outfit.



The more she poses, the more weird and twisty she gets.  Hilarious.


1 comment:

Erika said...

She is just plain adorable!!!!