Monday, September 26, 2011

Estes Park

Dean and I had a great few days in Estes Park. It was so beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing. I think we may have added a new destination to our list of favorite vacation spots.

We flew out late Thursday morning. When we arrived in Denver, we grabbed our rental car and took our time driving to Estes Park. We made a few stops including a tiny mountain town where we had lunch. I think we were the youngest people in this town by about 40 years. :) We eventually made it to our cabin and relaxed with a couple glasses of wine before heading to town for dinner. We found that everything closed pretty early. It wasn't even 8:00 p.m. yet and our options were limited.

On Friday morning, we slept in, ate breakfast out on the deck and went into town for massages. So. Awesome. And a wonderful way to start the day. We grabbed some lunch afterwards and went back to the cabin to change into our "hiking" clothes. As most of you know, and I'm sure I've mentioned this before, I am so the exact opposite of outdoorsy that it's quite painful. I knew Dean wanted to go on a hike on this trip and of course, I was going to give it a shot...but I was sorta, kinda, totally worried about it. Not only am I not Miss Nature, I am completely out of shape and Colorado is not exactly Nebraska in the altitude department. Turns out, I survived. Dean was very nice to me. :) We just went on a portion of a hike that a local waiter suggested to us. I think we were out for less than two hours. We made it to a cluster of huge boulders. I sat my butt on top of one and didn't budge while I nervously watched Dean play rock climber for a while.

After our hike, we went back to the cabin to get ready for dinner at the Stanley Hotel. The movie, The Shining, by Stephen King was filmed there. Supposedly, it is haunted. Super cool place, great dinner, but I get the heebie-jeebies when it comes to stuff like that. So much so that I insisted Dean go to the bathroom with me. I'm a chicken.

On Saturday, we did some shopping in the morning. There are lots of neat little stores, including a Husker store. How cool! We had lunch at a great pizza place and then headed into Rocky Mountain National Park. We drove allll the way to the the visitors' center at 11, 796 feet. We stopped a few times along the way to take in the view and snap a few pictures. It was incredible. I got a little nervous about how there weren't barricades (or extremely low ones) as we drove on these steep roads. One wrong move and you're done. On our way out of the park, we stopped in an area called Morraine Park. It's a known spot for elk-watching. We lucked out and got pretty close to one and saw lots of others. Supposedly, the males always fight during that time of day, but we must have missed it. Still cool though.

Eventhough we were on vacation, we couldn't forget the Huskers game. We ran into a lady from Omaha earlier in the day and she told us there was a bar that would be playing the game. We found it and when we walked in, the entire place was filled with Husker fans. It instantly put a smile on my face. It always amazes me that there are Nebraska fans just about anywhere you go. We watched most of the game before going back to our cabin for the night. We thought we might be able to catch the rest of it there, but we ended up not having that channel. Oh well.

On Sunday morning, we hung out at the cabin and packed things up before driving back to Denver to fly home. It was a great, great weekend and trip. Just what we needed...but we were both anxious to see our babies. When we got home, Ayla saw me and I don't think it registered right away but then her face lit up, she exclaimed, "Mama!" and ran straight to me for a hug. Nothing better. It was the best reaction I've gotten from her coming home from a trip. Usually, I feel like she's kind of indifferent or almost mad that I left her. I know she and Aubree had a great weekend with our parents. We can't thank them enough for taking care of our girls while we were gone. I've said it before and I'll say it again--we are so lucky.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Awesome!!! And that settles it, we are vacation twins:) I forgot to tell you the town does close down pretty early! I think we should all go sometime, kids or no kids:)