Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Getting ready for school to start!

Ayla starts kindergarten on Monday.

I. Can't. Believe. It.

In preparation, there have been a few events at her school this week.  On Monday, it was Back to School 101.  We went in to hand in final paperwork, she had her school picture taken, found out who her teacher is going to be (Miss Feldman), and filled out directory info.

Last night, there was a meeting just for kindergarten parents.  The principal and three kindergarten teachers walked us through the curriculum and what a school day will be like for our kids.  They explained everything we needed to know.  But I still feel a bit overwhelmed.  I think once we get through the first week and figure out a routine, I'll be good to go. :)  I like to stress about things until they happen. Sigh.

I am super excited for Ayla...she is thrilled beyond words to start school.  She keeps asking how many days are left before she gets to go.  I hope this attitude sticks with her for a long time. I am very impressed with the school and the staff that we've met so far.  The school just opened last year...I like that it's new and not huge.  There are 64 kindergartners...three classes.  The teachers also talked about how the first day drop off would go.  They said they'll all be outside waiting for their kids.  We leave them at that point.  They said we can take pictures, give hugs and kisses and go.  I pretty much gathered that that is how it would go, but for some reason, just hearing them say that, I got all teary-eyed.  They want them to learn to be independent and confident so they don't want us walking them into the classroom each morning.  I get it.  I do.  And I want her to be independent and confident.  She will be.  I know she'll run in with a smile and zero issues.  But. She's still my baby.  She protests every time I call her that because she's a big girl.  It's just hard to believe how fast the past five, almost six years have gone.  I feel like she was just born and all of a sudden we are beginning a new chapter and we're sending her off where she will be away from me all day.  I suppose Monday through Thursday while I'm at work, I may not notice a difference but I have Fridays off.  Next Friday will be a bit of a shock to not have her here all day.  It'll just be Aubree and me.  So weird!  This is going to be our new normal.

We have about a month until Aubree starts preschool.  Lord help us.  She has already stated that she does not want to go to school.  Oh boy.  She will be going every Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00-11:30am, just like Ayla did a couple of years ago.  I'm anxious about dropping her off for the first time.  Any time she has been away from us, she has been with Ayla.  She loved vacation bible school, so I'm hoping she loves preschool just the same.  She is as feisty as ever, but that's what makes her so awesome. :)  I just hope her lack of filter doesn't get her into trouble at school.  It will be interesting to hear what she is like while she's there.  A lot of kids, including Ayla, tend to listen and behave better when it's not their own parents. Aubree...ehh...she pretty much doesn't give a sh*t. :)  We shall see.  Either way, this is a big step for her (and us) and it'll be a good thing.  I think she'll end up loving it!

Tomorrow night is an Open House at Ayla's school.  She will get to meet her teacher, see her classroom, and drop off all of her school supplies. :)

No comments: