Friday, November 9, 2012

Ayla: 4-years old

I'm going to quit making excuses every time I post something.  We all know I'm extremely behind...and that's all I'm going to say.  One post at a time people, one post at a time.

Ayla turned FOUR over a month ago but you'd think she had just turned 13.  She is wise beyond her years.  The thoughts and ideas that come out of her mouth continue to surprise me.  I always wonder when and where she learned everything that she knows.  Sometimes I just have to sit and stare at her in awe.  What an amazing little lady she is.  She seems to be very aware of others--what they're thinking, how they are feeling, etc.  She aims to please...when SHE is in the mood of course...otherwise she is as stubborn as stubborn can be.  There are days where I swear we just battle all day long because we are the exact same person. 

She has a great imagination...always making up little stories and scenarios with her dolls and Barbies.  She plays really well on her own until Godzilla Aubree decides to make a move and destroys whatever Ayla has set up perfectly.  She is definitely the typical first child.  Still wants everything just so and doesn't like much change in her day to day routine.  She knows exactly how her day is lined up and I think she prefers it that way.

We've had a little bit of a setback with preschool.  For the first couple of months, she could hardly wait to run into the classroom every Tuesday and Thursday, but after she missed a couple of days when she was sick, she has been dreading school days.  She actually cried and clung onto me for a couple of drop-offs.  She's never like that so I felt so bad leaving her in tears.  Her teacher says she is fine after a few minutes and when I see her after I'm off work, she's as happy as can be.  No issues.  It's gotten a little bit better the past couple of times...still takes a little coaxing but no more tears.  I'm hoping it improves.  We will be in Ohio for Thanksgiving so she will miss a couple more days while we are gone.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is no regression once we get back.  We've tried talking to her about it to see what has changed and every time, she says she doesn't want to go because she'll miss me while she's there. :(  Again, she has never had any problems with being away from me, so I can't seem to figure this one out.

Anyway.

It doesn't seem like she will be growing out of this girly princess "phase" any time soon.  She's all about the pretty, pink, and sparkly everything.  She insists on wearing a dress every day.  We're quickly running out of options as the weather has started to cool off.  There are days where she's wearing pretty questionable-looking outfits.  But hey, if it makes her happy, I'm cool with it.  She also always has to have a headband on.  This is the new thing.  They are super cute, but after a while, her hair is out of control and she looks like a little maniac.  It makes me crazy when her hair is just hanging in her face.  Somehow it doesn't bother her.  I need to take her in for a haircut soon...maybe get some cute little side-swept bangs or something.

She continues to love music.  She knows more words to more songs than I do.  I'm always impressed at how quickly she learns the lyrics.  She still loves her vacation bible school songs and also all three Zac Brown Band CDs.  We don't listen to the radio much so she hasn't caught on to anything else...the longer we can stay away from Justin Bieber (and the like), the better.  I don't think my ears can handle it.  I'd love to start teaching her how to play the piano...I think she'd love it!

I think I've mentioned this before--she has a love-hate relationship with her little sister.  She gets sooo irritated with her and doesn't want to share a single thing with her, but as soon as anyone else is mean to Aubree, she turns into a little bodyguard. :)  We'll joke with her sometimes and say that we're going to bring Aubree back to the hospital (no worries, Aubree...we would never), and she freeeeaks out and says "No!!!  I want her!!  She's my sister!!!" Ok. Just checking. :)  Every now and then, when the moon, stars, and sun align, they play nicely.  I don't hold my breath though.  Someday they'll be friends.

I've come to the conclusion that she will forever be our finicky eater.  We're at the point (lately) where not every single meal is a battle, which is a huge improvement.  I'll take it.  But she still only eats a very small selection of things.  Again, if she's eating, I'll take it.  We encourage her to try new things...at least take one bite to see if she likes it.  Most of the time she doesn't, but she is praised for giving it a shot.  Funny story--my dad made a bunch of breaded fish and for some reason, Ayla called them chips.  I asked if she wanted a "chip" and she freaking ate the crap out of it.  So. Weird.  Clearly, they are not chips and she HAS to know that, but she loves them and has had them several times since.  I'm always on the verge of telling her that it's actually fish but if she's anything like me, she'll quit eating it.  Sooo, we're just going to run with it.  Is that bad?  Ayla, hopefully by the time you can read this, I have told you what you're actually eating and you're okay with it. :)

I often look at her and can't believe she is the same little chubby-cheeked baby we brought home from the hospital.  She's amazing.  She's beautiful.  She's smart.  She's so funny.  And I love her more than anything in this world. 

No comments: