Saturday, March 21, 2015

Aubree : 4-years

I just finished wrapping all of her presents and decorating the outside of her door.  Now I'm sitting on the couch trying to gather my thoughts about what I want to say about Aubree as she is about to turn four.  How CRAZY. My baby isn't a baby anymore. Four years ago, at this time, Dean and I had been at the hospital for about an hour...she wouldn't arrive for another five hours. When she finally did, we had no idea that that screeching little baby laying on my chest would become this hilarious, feisty, beautiful, crazy-smart little girl.

I love this little person so much. She definitely keeps me on my toes (still). I think I say this every year...but it's true. One second, she is driving me absolutely bat-shit crazy and I consider selling her on Craigslist (she has driven me to tears more times than I'd like to admit) and the next second, she climbs onto my lap and snuggles her delicious-smelling head into that perfect-made-for-her-spot between the crook of neck and my shoulder and all is right in the world again. Those moments are ones that I want to freeze and remember and feel forever. I know I'm going to miss that someday when they're teenagers and want nothing to do with me. I love that Aubree is still so snuggly. She still loves to be held and "babied." I know this will start to change soon so I'm going to milk it while I can. I know she's getting too big to be held, but I kind of love it. :)

She has adjusted really well to going through her day while Ayla is at school. I could tell she was super bored at first, but she keeps busy and is pretty happy most of the time now. She gets a kick out of touching all of Ayla's toys that Ayla normally doesn't even let her breathe on. As soon as we pick up Ayla from school, it's ON. Freaking World War III at the Peterson's. They fight, they bicker, they whine, they cry, they scream, they kick, you name it. I don't get. I thought they would miss each other after being apart for HOURS...but no. However, on the weekends, they will play together all day with hardly any issues.

She is continuing to learn SO much and most of it is from watching Ayla. She is reading and writing (at a very beginner's level), but it's incredible to witness. We can see improvements consistently. She sounds words out all on her own and will even try writing them. It's so awesome. She loves to count and add. And she also loves to draw...again, getting lots of her skills from mimicking what Ayla draws. She's really enjoying preschool. She's always excited to go. She's just going on Tuesdays and Thursdays but in the fall, I have her signed up to go five days a week. I figured since she is up and ready to go every morning in order for us to take Ayla to school, I might as well have her go do something productive and learn.

She may be super smart, but she's also 100% kid. She's rambunctious, energetic, and just downright crazy at times. And she's LOUD. She loves playing on her scooter outside. She's becoming more coordinated, so that helps. :) She loves to dance, sing, blow bubbles, Barbies, and anything tiny. She can play with little figurines for what feels like forever--the mini-Barbies, Little Pet Shop, etc.

I'm still waiting for her to become the good eater that she was as a baby. She's gotten a little better the last few months, but mealtime is still easily the most agonizing three hours each day. Yes. I said three hours. Every meal, we sit...and sit...and...sit. She gets distracted so easily. It makes me crazy. It's difficult to get her to try new things, but I know at this age, it's pretty normal. She is the queen of snacks. If I let her, she'd rather just snack all day long than sit down for a meal. I thought limiting them would help her eat better, but no such luck. It'll happen. Hopefully sooner than later. :)

She is a deep thinker. I think I mentioned this when I posted about her conferences. She asks a gazillion questions a day so she can cram as much info into her little head as possible. She's very curious and likes to know how everything works and why things are the way they are. She. Talks. Non. Stop. One thought after another. If she's quiet, she's either asleep or doing something she shouldn't be doing.

Speaking of that, she does things that wouldn't have ever crossed Ayla's mind. I have to worry about things I didn't have to worry about with Ayla. Just the other day, Ayla came out of the playroom in tears with an armload of stuffed animals that Aubree had stamped. Ink all over them. I still regularly find a pile of unraveled toilet paper sitting on the bathroom floor. She likes to play in the sink so the entire counter is flooded and Marla even had to stop her from swirling toilet paper in the toilet once. When you tell her to stop and ask her why she did it, she just giggles. Little stinker.

She can always make people laugh. She can be so ornery and stubborn but she can also be the sweetest thing you've ever met. She's a well-rounded little lady and we just love her to pieces.

Happy happy 4th birthday, Miss Aubree! :)


No comments: