Monday, July 21, 2014

Mommy Stay-cation

My family came home yesterday evening from a week-long trip to our cabin in Wisconsin. That's right. I've had the house to myself since last Friday afternoon. That's over eight whole days. The first time I've been alone for more than a few hours in almost six years. I re-did the playroom. I ate like I was in college. I slept in. I stayed in the shower for as long I wanted. I went to the bathroom without commentary on my underwear. I lounged on the couch. I watched tv DURING THE DAY. I shopped. I met friends for lunch. For day drinks. For happy hour. For dinner. I got my nails done. I got a massage. I spent time with my best friends. I ate ice cream. I drank wine. I enjoyed the silence. I enjoyed having my own thoughts. I came and went as I pleased. I was not on anyone else's schedule. All with no mommy-guilt. This. THIS was a vacation. I was ready to squeeze my family but I couldn't believe how fast my long awaited week flew by. I felt a little bummed as my last few minutes came to a close but as I sat outside and waited for them, I could hear my girls screaming "MAMA!!!!" as they pulled into the driveway. Instant overwhelming happy tears stung my eyes. I received two of the biggest hugs two little sets of arms could muster. Love. I needed this break. We all do. And I, for sure, will need it again at some point...but it's good to have my family back. :)

No comments: